SSL or the Secure Socket Layer is an encryption technology used to create a secured connection between a web server and the client’s web browser. It acts as the backbone of the secured Internet and protects one’s sensitive and vital information as it travels across the computer networks on the Internet. SSL certificates are helpful in secured data transfers, authentic logins, safer credit card transactions, etc. They provide privacy, security, and data integrity to users and make visitors more likely to stay on a website safely for a longer duration.
There are the following key benefits of using an SSL certificate on websites:
- Protects Data: Its core function is to provide protected client-server communication. On installing SSL, every bit of information is encrypted. Therefore, it proves to be an edgeless sword for the hackers against the unparalleled encryption technology of SSL certificates.
- Keeps the Identity Confidential: Identity verification is a crucial aspect to provide secured authentication on a website and SSL certificate helps to achieve that web security.
- Helps to satisfy PCI/DSS Requirements: To receive online payments on the website, the site needs to be Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliant. And for that, a site must have a SSL Certificate so as to get the approval from the PCI.
- Provides Better Search Engine Rankings: SSL Certificate has gained a prominent position after Google started prioritizing websites (that possess SSL certificates) with better search engine rankings.
- Builds Consumer Trust: Apart from encryption and authentication, SSL certificates are vital from customer’s trust point of view. Once they know that a website is the legitimate entity, they are far more likely to do business or even revisit the site.